Free Artist Applications to play NXNE 2023 Are Open
First launched in 1995 with a mission to showcase buzz-about emerging artists, North by Northeast (NXNE) opened free, 2023 artist applications on Fri. Oct. 14. NXNE continues its commitment to inclusion at one of Canada’s leading annual festivals of emerging music by having no applications fees to perform for the second year in a row.
“We had thousands of bands apply – and hundreds play — from diverse economic and social backgrounds in 2022 when we eliminated the application fees and NXNE was richer for it,” says NXNE President Michael Hollett.
The festival is open to most genres of music and is committed to diversity and gender equity in its programming decisions.
“We are certain we received a much broader range of submissions because of our no-fee-to-apply policy,” says Hollett. “A wide range of genres and economic backgrounds were represented in our applications and as a result, NXNE is able to provide a much more accurate snapshot of the emerging talent in this country right now.
“In addition, we will keep the cost of attending the festival low – full festival pass was only 20 bucks last year – thereby helping ensure these bands have full venues when they come to Toronto play. We remain committed to creating the best possible experience for performers at NXNE.”
- Showcases will take place between June 13 – 17, 2023
- One official NXNE showcase performance is guaranteed per invited act.
- Showcase slots run for 40 minutes with a 20-minute changeover
- NXNE covers basic artist backline
- If invited to showcase, each performing member will receive a non transferable NXNE Full Festival Pass granting access to official NXNE showcases, conference programming, reserved hotel blocks and parties (unless otherwise noted)
- Performing members will also receive a one-time payment ($50 total for a solo performer or $100 total for two or more performers) – payable by e-transfer or PayPal after the set.
- Artists who are not Canadian residents are responsible for securing their own visas for entry into Canada.
- NXNE does not cover travel and accommodation expenses.
Links to the free NXNE Artists’ Application Form are now live on the festival’s website at www.nxne.com.